Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Happy Valentine

Valentine's Day is truly alive and thriving in Kuching. You will be amazed at all the little makeshift stalls set up all over the city.. selling flowers , balloons , teddy bears etc. All the florists must be laughing all the way to the bank!!!!and the men must be hoping that the credit card bills will somehow be lost in cyberspace.

I have noted how Valentine's day has changed over the years for us. During the courtship days.... one would be dizzy with delight dreaming about where the dinner will be. (Better not be KFC, Pizza Hut or McD). Then the gift... what would it be ? So much anticipation.....and mystery. So pulsating!!!

After many years of marriage and with 2 kids in tow, Valentine's Day is totally different. A typical conversation around Valentine's Day usually goes like this.

Scenario 1
P: Where do you want to go for Valentine 's Dinner?
D: No needlah. Spend that kind of money!!! So ridiculous !!!
P: What do you want for Valentine's Day?
D: Nothing !

Scenario 2 ( on the road....passing many makeshift stalls selling Valentine's day stuff)
P: You want the flowers ? It's quite late now. Maybe only ½ price.
D: Don't be silly!!
P: Look teddy bears. You want one?
D:Of course not!!!

Drastic change eh!!!! No.... there's nothing wrong with our marriage. It's just that after all these years of marriage , he still buys me flowers when I least expect it, he still opens the car door for me, he still takes me out on dates (just the 2 of us).... so to me I get all these good stuff throughout the year so I don't see Valentine's Day as any different from all my other days.

I thank God for a good hubby who loves me even when I vex him. He's not perfect .... and drives me up the wall on many occasions but I wouldn't trade him for all the gold in the world.

So come next Valentine , I think the conversation would still pretty much be the same.

1 comment:

Greg Wee said...

Yes, Eng Hean is better than all the gold in the world. He's a very good man & you're very lucky to have him. heheh. (Guys have to support guys leh. All lambs should stick togehter)